Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:22 AM

Five Big Online Marketing Mistakes
Source: iMedia Connection
Author: Ian Lurie

Portent Interactive's CEO discusses how to avoid common marketing mistakes while using a holistic approach to design, structure and buying.

Online marketing seems easy enough: build a website, buy some keywords on Google, and then watch the world flock to your site to buy your products and/or services. Unfortunately, life is rarely that easy, and marketing on the internet is no exception.

Almost every mistake you can make on the web derives from the fundamental assumption that designing and building a website, marketing your product/service, and measuring the results are separate, compartmentalized activities. In fact, the opposite is true: one must approach online marketing with a holistic philosophy that recognizes the interrelatedness of, say, the structure of a website and its ability to rank highly in search results.

Ideally, your graphic designers, technology architects and coders, search engine optimization consultants, and media buyers should work together as a single organization, even if they are not from the same company. The failure to take such an approach can result in making one or more of the following Five Big Mistakes…

Mistake #1: Thinking That Keyword Advertising Is Everything
Everyday I meet people who are pouring money into pay-per-click search and ignoring organic search. This is a costly mistake that only helps to line pockets of Google shareholders. Not that I have anything against the success of Google. To the contrary, Google has done more to shine a light on the power of internet marketing than anyone else.

No, my beef is with the advertisers who only care about being number one in ad words, when they should be more concerned with end results. The ingenious Google bidding model, in which advertisers compete against each other, ensures the highest cost per click for Google.

But people forget that a Top-Ten search result is just as powerful as an ad that costs $5. I know many people who are more inclined to click an organic search result because they think it has more credibility than a paid advertisement. Do you ever do that? I know I do.

Instead of focusing exclusively on keyword advertising, you have to strike a balance with organic search, eNewsletters, email, blogs, and all the other marketing vehicles available on the web today. Utilize the entire universe of options and you will lower your overall cost per click.

Other issues discussed:
Mistake #2: Thinking Cool Design Equals Good Marketing
Mistake #3: Ignoring Measurement
Mistake #4: Ignoring Return on Investments
Mistake #5: Assuming that Meta-Tags Can Help With Search Engine Optimization
Read full article here...

Ian Lurie is an Internet marketing professional in Seattle, Washington. His firm, Portent Interactive, has helped businesses generate value using the Internet since 1995. Ian is about to publish a book on Internet Marketing called Conversation Marketing. You can visit his blog at http://www.conversationmarketing.com.

#2 Damiean

Damiean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

This is very true we do these simple mistakes often ....we just ignore them. Thanks for lightening up again.
Damiean

#3 Peterson Kevin

Peterson Kevin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Ya man, You are right. However, We cannot say all are on the same track, is it? :P

#4 Faraz Ahmed

Faraz Ahmed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Internet marketing can be very powerful, but it needs to be done right to be effective. There are more others mistakes should be define in this post

#5 copysa1111

copysa1111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Today the marketing field is highly competitive..Each of them searching different different ways to spread their products...I think majority of them going behind the visual media..But i am not satisfied on that only..
Is there any other way ???
*TRUE FRIENDSHIP "NEVER" ENDS, Friends are FOREVER*

#6 lenny

lenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

This is one of the reasons I went for affiliate programs in my marketing approach and I don't regret making this decision. My investment returns show the results I expected, and now that I think back it was a real challenge for my business because it wasn't well connected online, now this problem is gone. (moderator's note. I removed the link surrounding "affiliate programs".)

#7 Dev Shakya

Dev Shakya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Its great, these are the common mistakes mainly found in online marketing.