Photo

Why can't I modify anything in the cart?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 babbsela

babbsela

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

I uploaded and installed the cart, downloaded a local copy to make modifications, and am trying to upload the modifications. Using ftp, the cart will not allow me to upload new files or overwrite old ones. Using my file manager, I can upload new files, but not overwrite old ones. I cannot delete files, change the CHMOD properties, or overwrite anything via ftp or file manager. All my server settings show that all directories are CHMOD 755, so there shouldn't be a problem. But there is. How is this fixed so that I can ftp changes?

#2 Jacob

Jacob

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

babbsela, Can you delete one of the files you are trying to overwrite on the server? (after you've made a local backup copy, of course :) ) I suspect that you won't be able to, and that would lead me to believe it is OWNERSHIP issues (which we've raised elsewhere on these boards), and you'll need to chat to your hosting provider about that. If you can, try deleting the server file, and uploading the local version from your pc. Hope this helps! Cheers Jacob

#3 babbsela

babbsela

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

babbsela,

Can you delete one of the files you are trying to overwrite on the server? (after you've made a local backup copy, of course :) )

I suspect that you won't be able to, and that would lead me to believe it is OWNERSHIP issues (which we've raised elsewhere on these boards), and you'll need to chat to your hosting provider about that. If you can, try deleting the server file, and uploading the local version from your pc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jacob

This is an interesting problem that has never occurred before in installing any other script on any server I have ever used, and I've been doing this for about 10 years. It seems evident to me that it is a problem inherent to your script, as I did find, as you say, that a lot of people have this same problem with it. It most likely has something to do with the automatic installation.

Have you ever thought of offering a .tar or .zip file for manual upload and installation so that this problem doesn't occur anymore?

#4 Alex Girin

Alex Girin

Avactis Support Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hello Babbsela,

Thank you for your remark.

We will change the installation script in the next version. The storefront and templates files will be copied to the server manually. Other system files and database will be installed automatically. It should resolve the permissions issue.

Best Regards,
Alex Girin
Avactis Shopping Cart Team

#5 Jacob

Jacob

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

This is an interesting problem that has never occurred before in installing any other script on any server I have ever used, and I've been doing this for about 10 years. It seems evident to me that it is a problem inherent to your script, as I did find, as you say, that a lot of people have this same problem with it. It most likely has something to do with the automatic installation.

Have you ever thought of offering a .tar or .zip file for manual upload and installation so that this problem doesn't occur anymore?

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not a member of the Avactis Development Team, just a regular someone who has installed the cart too :)

Yes, it's clearly a problem, and hopefully they'll fix it in their next version, otherwise people will keep getting frustrated and turned off by it :(

#6 babbsela

babbsela

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not a member of the Avactis Development Team, just a regular someone who has installed the cart too :)

Yes, it's clearly a problem, and hopefully they'll fix it in their next version, otherwise people will keep getting frustrated and turned off by it :(

Thanks for your input.

In doing my own investigation into the problem, I discovered that the installer runs as "httpd" user, and since that is not a named user for the database, no permissions are given. I just had to change the user and give global permissions, and all was good. Perhaps they should have a step in the installation where the user name could be entered, instead of using the default.

#7 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi Jacob, Perhaps you could answer this for me since I do not understand some of that behind the scenes stuff on the servers. One of my test sites I did not have the techs. change the permissions on. So it remains one that I can not make ANY changes on the avactis system files. When I create a new set of avactis-templates and link the new look to that there is no permission problem. By not changing the original templates and only the new ones ... would this make any upgrade work better designwise? Thanks :) Linda
I can't is an excuse for mediocrity.

#8 Jacob

Jacob

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

Linda, When you copy and paste the existing templates into a new folder on your computer, and edit and upload those new files, the permissions are set correctly by default, as you're the user, and you've created and uploaded those files. This is why you then don't have any problems editing those files. The current problem is that when initially installing, the Avactis installer doesn't give itself your server username, so it defaults to NOBODY. Then, later on, when you try to access or edit those files on the server, they aren't owned by you (your server username), thereby causing the permission / ownership problems that everyone is seeing. It sounds like the Avactis team have worked on a way to do this successfully, so we shall wait and see :) As far as updating templates etc, I think it's a much better idea to completely separate your design templates from theirs. That way, later on you could compare your original template files with a new version's template files, using something like WinMerge (a great tool, by the way!). What they need to do is have a simple 'fresh' version - separate from their Flowers one - that people can modify directly, without having to do all this copying etc. The Flowers one is great to see how they've done it, but it's setting up their own store with their own files that people are having a lot of trouble with. So, you could have a separate store that has minimal styling, that is to be used as the LIVE store. Anyway, enough rambling from me :) Cheers!

#9 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hi Jacob, Thanks for the explanation. I did know about the NOBODY because that is what happened to me. What I was not sure about was why I could gain permission to some files and not to others without the NOBODY being changed. Now that makes sense. :) Thanks also on the heads up for WinMerge ... I will be looking into it. I have not had an opportunity to even try out the latest upgrade nor work on designs for avactis cart. :( How is it that one minute there is no work and the next to much? at least there is light at the end of the tunnel ;) I am off to find WinMerge so thanks again. Linda

#10 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

Jacob, Oh my gosh!!!! I love WinMerge ... where has this program been all of my design life? Thanks soooo much! :) Linda

#11 Jacob

Jacob

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

Heheheheh it's a very useful tool, isn't it!! I'm glad you like it, and you can't beat the price :) Great work on helping out Laura in the other thread too, that's a huge amount of work you've done for her, which I can see she appreciates a great deal!

#12 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi Jacob, I can remember when there was no help for any of us and how frustrating it was so if I can help with anything I have found out its a pleasure. I love love this pogram ... oh my gosh I am thinking of the hours I have spent comparing docs to the point of being rummy and then still missing something. Have not had an opportunity to really try out all functions but did a simple couple of tests and my oh my. And you can absolutly not beat the price ... lol Linda

#13 Miso

Miso

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

and still, nothing has been changed as far as the permissions in the installer go in this new version... 1.7.2 installer still creates all the files and folders with the messed up permissions, and we can't overwrite any files or even upload new ones in those folders... frustrating, yes! can't update my images, backups, anything... this cart is turning to be more of a pain than I thought it would be. and why isn't there an option to NOT load the default flowers cart - it's way too much hassle to run around and delete sample data and create my own fresh cart! Whose idea was that anyway?

#14 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi Miso, I understand your plight. Been there done that. Let me ask you a question. Are you trying to edit the docs in storefront-files? With 1.7.2 I had no problem at all when in the past I had to have my server set permissions for me. I do not know who decided to populate the cart ... in my opinion ... thank heavens. It took me less than 2 mins to delete the product from flowers (the installed data to my new database on install) I do not find that unreasonable and actually fairly helpful to someone new to the program (my client as example). Perhaps you are just frustrated and everything else gets worse along with it? I can relate because I have also done that until I learned the ropes in this cart. If you hang in there you will find this cart the most simple easy to work with cart around. If not there are other choices that I can attest will cause you far more hair pulling. Take a few deep breaths and start over ... the second try will no doubt work ;) Linda