5 replies to this topic

#1 ava2011

ava2011

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'm not able to send emails, I get message Unable to send the message: invalid mail settings. I'm using specific settings I know it's not a server problem because I use the same setting in Zencart and it works. Any ideas or solutions ? I'm trying to add a reply to my post and instead of adding a reply it edits the post. Strange. Anyway this is the reply. I managed to find the problem. I changed the store owner's profile and now it works. It's only when I use test mail in email settings that doesn't work. I don't really need to test email.

#2 batracy

batracy

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm not able to send emails, I get message

Unable to send the message: invalid mail settings.

I'm using specific settings

I know it's not a server problem because I use the same setting in Zencart and it works.

Any ideas or solutions ?

I'm trying to add a reply to my post and instead of adding a reply it edits the post. Strange.

Anyway this is the reply.

I managed to find the problem.

I changed the store owner's profile and now it works.

It's only when I use test mail in email settings that doesn't work. I don't really need to test email.

What did you change in the store owner's profile?

As of Jan 28, 2012 my email just stopped working from the store. I used "server defaults" for the configuration and the emails are no longer being sent and I get the "invalid mail settings" error in the mail settings screen when testing the mail, regardless of how the settings are configured. My hosting company assures me there is no problem on the hosting or email servers and they are pointing the finger at the code. This doesn't make any sense to me as nothing has changed in the code, or the store configuration, and it just stopped working. It was working, now it isn't. I'm very frustrated right now because I can't get notifications to my customers!!!!!

Would really like to know if what you did would also fix my issue.
Thanks.

#3 DonH

DonH

Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

You can wait for ava2011 to reply and hop the answer solves your problem, too. But, If I were you, I would put in a support request. https://www.avactis.com/support.php. If you give ftp credentials, they will be able to determine what the problem is and fix it for you.

#4 batracy

batracy

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

You can wait for ava2011 to reply and hop the answer solves your problem, too. But, If I were you, I would put in a support request. https://www.avactis.com/support.php. If you give ftp credentials, they will be able to determine what the problem is and fix it for you.

Already ahead of you on that Don, but thanks. I'm still interested in knowing what solved the problem for ava2011, but I'm more interested in getting my problem solved.

One problem that really frustrates me is that my hosting provider's ip addresses keeps getting blacklisted which causes problem for me. Support said my problem is because the ip has been blacklisted and charged me support credits without even looking at the errors I'm getting. These errors are occurring before the email even gets sent where the blacklist would become an issue. I'm getting very tired of support making assumptions and charging me before they take any steps to investigate the issue.

My hosting provider suggested setting up Google Apps and routing email through google which would take care of the issue of the hosting ip's getting blacklisted. Problem here is the mail settings configuration doesn't seem to work when configured for Google Apps - I get the same error message that I initially asked support to look into i.e. "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" - IT'S NOT EVEN CREATING THE EMAIL!!! If it doesn't create the email, how in the #$@$ is this a blacklist problem???

Got the problem resolved. Support did some testing and found that the problem was on the server side and gave me a script to prove it. I passed this information along to the hosting company and they finally stepped up and using the script found a problem in the Cpanel which required a patch be applied. This resolved the "invalid mail settings" error and the problems with sending email from my Store.

#5 DonH

DonH

Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm glad that you got "most" of the problem sorted. But...I would be looking for a new host. The blacklist problem and how they handled would be a major concern for me. It is not terribly uncommon for an email server to be blacklisted, but the suggestion that you route through gmail is not a solution to the problem. The solution is for them to find the user causing the server to be blacklisted and taking action to resolve the issue, including communicating with the service that has the server blacklisted to get it lifted. A reputable host will have the security in place to quickly identify and minimize if not prevent the spam that triggers a blacklisting from leaving their mail servers. A recurrent problem would tell me that either the security is not in place or it is not a priority for the host. Either way, I wouldn't trust an e-commerce site to them.

#6 batracy

batracy

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm glad that you got "most" of the problem sorted. But...I would be looking for a new host. The blacklist problem and how they handled would be a major concern for me. It is not terribly uncommon for an email server to be blacklisted, but the suggestion that you route through gmail is not a solution to the problem. The solution is for them to find the user causing the server to be blacklisted and taking action to resolve the issue, including communicating with the service that has the server blacklisted to get it lifted. A reputable host will have the security in place to quickly identify and minimize if not prevent the spam that triggers a blacklisting from leaving their mail servers. A recurrent problem would tell me that either the security is not in place or it is not a priority for the host. Either way, I wouldn't trust an e-commerce site to them.

I agree and I have been looking. Do you have any recommendations for hosting? This is actually the second hosting company I've used, the first was really good hosting, but just couldn't support the shopping cart.

Thanks!