28 replies to this topic

#1 Avactis Team

Avactis Team

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hello, You can post your opinions and wishes about Avactis in this topic. Please include your name and web site in your post. Please don't post anonymous messages. Best Regards, Avactis Shopping Cart Team

#2 Davlev

Davlev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

Aloha, I wasn't sure if you wanted the reviews as an attachment to this post or not, but it wasn't locked so I assumed ;). I found Avactis to be the easiest, most complete, 'out of the box' type storefront software out there, at a great price. While there were some interesting coding things (find/replace <? php Somefunctionthatisntreallyafunction() ?>, that had me head scratching looking for the function structure ;p). But other than that, and a _ton_ of directory structures... It wasn't too bad. What it gives you though is invaluable, a non-programmer easily able to create and change their store. Which saves me time and money :). One possible addition, a php script to change the names to 'So in So's Store etc' from the 'Avactis Sample Shop'. Might be a nice 'change over', it'd also allow the Avactis team to keep the references they wish in place (copyrights etc)). I'm happy with it though, and I'll use it for other clients, perhaps even start a shop myself. Dave Leverich www.blinc-designs.com www.atacards.com Graphics/Coding guy.

#3 LX24

LX24

Avactis Partner Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

I have looked at a lot of shopping carts and have always thought that they were ok... but they never seamed to be as good or as flexible as I wanted. Avactis however is and continues to be an amazing product, also one of the few that bother to actually listen to their client’s request for additions and updates. Avactis is also a powerful cart but is so easy to integrate I rate it as one of the best carts out there, especially with the user login update on its way. A sincere WELL DONE Chris w
chris willcox
LX24 Design & Integration
web: www.lx24.co.uk
email: info@lx24.co.uk

IPB Image

#4 dechowireless

dechowireless

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

I have worked with different softwares and they have always been very tedious for me to figure out how to customize them since I'm not much of a programmer. But when I began customizing my website using Avactis, I ran into no problems. It was such a breeze for me to implement my design into the website. I love the simplicity of how a designer with little knowledge of programming can use this software with no trouble! And if someone ever ran into trouble, there is a user manual that is so helpful! And if someone ever needed MORE help, the Avactis team is here to provide all the help needed! I have never been so stressfree with using any software until I ran into Avactis! -Tom

#5 Ruchir

Ruchir

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

I just wanted to say I am very impressed with the system. While the cart is still being enhanced all the time [with features, as I've been told, such as Customer Managemeng and Gift Certificates], its seamless integration in to my website with simple php placeholder functions is very impressive. My layout needs of the system were completely different than the one that was orignally provided - but it took me minutes to put them both together through the User Manual. What I am most happy about is the support. Every time I've had issues of integration, I sent a request for which I've got a response within hours - usually straightforward and solves my problems. If not, I've always been provided with advice on how it could be done from other sources. Well done Avactis - I suppose the price is quite worth your effort in maintaining it. Cheers, Ruchir

#6 Tania at Idol Designs LLC

Tania at Idol Designs LLC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Dear Alex, I do realize that I am not your only customer and that I have been pretty high maintenance while learning to use your software. I want you to know that I very much appreciate the attention and support that you have provided me. Tania Tania Pendarakis, Managing Partner Idol Designs, LLC www.BeIdolized.com

#7 e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:27 AM

Tania, Trust me there is nobody more high maintenance than I have been since Dec 2006, I'm sure he appreciates the kind words, I know I have sent many his way as well. It's very important to let these guys know that we understand that they are very busy and short handed and still providing a great shopping cart. Hang in there it takes time but as time goes on we learm more and more each day, and the whole Avactis team is always there to help us no matter how busy they are. Ron :)
http://www.usedissues.com

"If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But...if it's REAL...you'll feel it."

#8 leppdesign

leppdesign

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

Avactis has been an excellent choice for shopping cart software. I am a web developer and had been looking for something to offer my clients in the way of shopping carts. I had tested 2 other carts out before and was very disapointed with them. My faith in shopping carts was pretty low after my most recent bad experience, but Avactis far exceeded my expectations! It was very, very simple for me to integrate it into my client's website design. I also highly appreciated the online help available. They have user manuals and help links all over the place. What I am most impressed with, though, has been their customer service. I have emailed them on a number of occasions asking to correct little things or just how to customize the cart even more. Each time they were prompt, knowledgeable, and helped me until the job was finished. Being a web developer I have come across too many support teams that either didn't know what they were talking about or told me that it wasn't their problem to deal with. This is not the case with Avactis' support team. They have been a breath of fresh air! I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great shopping cart to implement into their site.
Contact us for integration into your existing website through http://www.leppdesign.com/ or for professionally designed, ready-made websites

#9 priceline

priceline

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

We started our e-commerce site with osCommerce cart and it is basically good for simple sites. I came across Avactis when I was looking for more flexible shopping cart solution. Though it was still basic initially, but provided awesome flexibility and can pretty much plug the shopping cart to any type of site. Support has been okay, only 30 day support is included. It would have been better if the forums are active or extended support is available for new customers. With 1.8.2, avactis looks like a complete solution and can't wait to upgrade our clients to this latest version. Now we are exclusively offering avactis to all of our design clients. Also providing free customization help for our hosting clients. This shows our confidence on avactis, we would like to thank Avactis for their great product.
www.fortunesamerica.com
Affordable Web Designing & Hosting

#10 bilbo--baggins

bilbo--baggins

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

I started out with our current site by reading a book on html/css, designed a page template and then created a site using static pages, each with buttons linking to PayPals free shopping cart. This has worked quite well, and the business has grown steadily, but the main downsides are that I have to manually update product pages (and find and remove all the links if a product is discontinued), and the fact that there is no search feature on the site. My plan has been to learn about ColdFusion and to write my own shopping cart software. While ColdFusion seems relatively straight forward, it's still a lot to take in for my first web application project, and the time involved with going off and learning about other necessary areas such as database design has just more and more delayed me even starting to write anything. The reason for planning to write it myself is because I was under the impression that there are 2 types of shopping cart: ready made ones that all look the same (except perhaps different colours, fonts etc) or custom written ones created by teams of web programmers. Recently I upgraded my hosting account to one that included an option to have zencart automatically installed. This prompted me to have another look at shopping cart software. Initially what I discovered reinforced my impression that the carts are rigidly written in a way that makes the kind of customisation I wanted impossible or highly complex. The most that seemed to be possible was to put the menu on the opposite side etc etc. Eventually I came across a mention of Avactis - and there are 2 things that immediately caught my attention. Firstly - the tag system. Having learned about ColdFusion, I immediately saw the potential for dropping simple tags into my existing page templates. Secondly - the free shopping cart. It's all very well having demo versions, but for the customisation I was looking for I needed to get my hands on the templates and play with them. I downloaded the software, uploaded it to my server, and installed it. It's the shame that lots of stuff is disabled in the free version - I can understand why they have done this, but for me it would have been better to have a time-limited full version in the same way as Adobe does 30 day fully functional versions of it's software. In a few hours I'd copied and pasted my page template and put the tags in the appropriate places, uploaded my css file, removed all of the table based layout from the existing templates. I had a dynamic site that looked almost identical to my static site, with the same functionality (I haven't got as far as looking at the search function yet). Unfortunately I discovered a few limitations of Avactis - we didn't like the way product options worked. If we sell a product that has different prices according to size, fabric, fastening, it looks really confusing to have a basic price and then +£0.50 etc for various options. Not displaying the total for the options is also a major weakness. In our static site we had come up with our own solution of having multiple buttons arranged in a table with prices across the top of each row. Maybe this looks messy to some people, and perhaps there isn't a perfect solution. At least it achieves 'at a glance' information about the range of prices. Looking further I discovered that other shopping carts seem to have the same method of handling options, though some like Squirrelcart do have an option to display the total price of options selected. Another limitation I found was that the email notifications are not html. Perhaps 5 years ago this wouldn't have bothered me, but as a regular web shopper I know that getting plain text order confirmations these days is quite rare. Typically its when I buy from an ebay seller and get an automated response it really stands out how primitive the plain text email looks (it reminds me of an old fashioned tractor-feed dot matrix invoice compared to laser printed invoices that are typical today). Unfortunately, this lead me to spend several days continuing my search for an alternative shopping cart. The problem is, it takes quite a significant investment of time and (potentially) money to try out different shopping carts to discover their limitations. It's fine having a money back guarantee - but it's frustrating to have to buy software, work out how to install it, read the manual, try to work out where everything is, and then ask for your money back when you discover the flaw. This is where Avactis really shines - having a free download was great, and the tag system so quick to learn that it didn't take much time to work out whether I could use it. I still haven't completely made up my mind - it's frustrating to go with a shopping cart that has obvious limitations from the start - most importantly no html emails. It's tempting to buy and hope it gets added soon, but a quick look in the forums showed an Avactis Team Member stating that it would be added in a post made in 2007. It's now mid-2009 and there is no sign of it. I still can't help feeling that the time it could take customising shopping cart software might be better spent writing my own in ColdFusion, but things always take longer than you expect, so I expect a project like that would end up taking forever. I also have concerns that for my first project, making sure the site is secure might be something I'd never really know if I'd achieved it. It's nice having a community forum - but a little frustrating not getting any responses to some of my posts. Better than another shopping cart site I can think of, where you cannot post in the forum until you have purchased the software.

#11 DonH

DonH

Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

...I still haven't completely made up my mind - it's frustrating to go with a shopping cart that has obvious limitations from the start - most importantly no html emails. It's tempting to buy and hope it gets added soon, but a quick look in the forums showed an Avactis Team Member stating that it would be added in a post made in 2007. It's now mid-2009 and there is no sign of it.

I still can't help feeling that the time it could take customising shopping cart software might be better spent writing my own in ColdFusion, but things always take longer than you expect, so I expect a project like that would end up taking forever. I also have concerns that for my first project, making sure the site is secure might be something I'd never really know if I'd achieved it.

It's nice having a community forum - but a little frustrating not getting any responses to some of my posts. Better than another shopping cart site I can think of, where you cannot post in the forum until you have purchased the software.

We have travelled similar paths.

Limitations are a never ending conundrum. No matter what it is, there are limitations. As soon as something meets all of the previous expectations, a whole new set appears. That's the curse of technology. At some point "good enough" either wins out, or the opportunity is lost. If you spend too much time investigating, you'll never make a decision, because there will always be "one more thing".

The timeliness of answers to forum posts really depends upon the spare time any of us have to check the forums. The good news is that the forums are not censored. you see the real world experiences, good and bad.

As slow as the forums may seem, the opposite is true of responses to trouble tickets. I'm blown away at how quickly I've had answers. Best of all, the responses are not some cut and paste responses that have nothing to do with your question or problem. You get real answers from real people who really know the product.

Don

#12 bilbo--baggins

bilbo--baggins

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

As slow as the forums may seem, the opposite is true of responses to trouble tickets. I'm blown away at how quickly I've had answers. Best of all, the responses are not some cut and paste responses that have nothing to do with your question or problem. You get real answers from real people who really know the product.

Thanks, that's good to know. Even from the limited contact I've had so far on the forums and emailing, I've had constructive responses generally rather than just 'no this isn't supported' which is what I got from some other places.

Is support limited to bugs, or are they able to offer advice on how to achieve a degree of customisation? eg. If I wanted my cart to show a default postage calculation (that customers could change later in the checkout process) and was having trouble implementing it, would they help or would they say it's not supported? I know they did reply to one question about product option pricing not updating automatically, saying that it would require javascript which isn't supported. (I wasn't quite sure whether they meant not possible, or they couldn't support me implementing it).

#13 DonH

DonH

Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Is support limited to bugs, or are they able to offer advice on how to achieve a degree of customisation? eg. If I wanted my cart to show a default postage calculation (that customers could change later in the checkout process) and was having trouble implementing it, would they help or would they say it's not supported? I know they did reply to one question about product option pricing not updating automatically, saying that it would require javascript which isn't supported. (I wasn't quite sure whether they meant not possible, or they couldn't support me implementing it).

There's customization and then there's customization. <grin> If the customization requires writing a custom script, that is something that you would have to do on your own. You also need to be aware that Avactis can't be responsible for how that script might negatively impact the cart program or future updates. I'm not a programmer, but, I think that you can accomplish what you want without having to change any program code, "only" adding a script to the page/s to manipulate the cart output.

Almost anything is possible. How easily it can be done depends upon the skills and knowledge of the designer. Sometimes, the end result is not worth the work involved in acheiving it. That's why I said that sometimes you just have to implement the "good enough" solution, instead of missing opportunities by engaging in a never ending search for the "best" solution.

Don

#14 Linda

Linda

Avactis Integrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hi Guys,

Just my 2 cents.

I have dropped my own scripts into the cart on the design side of it (I almost NEVER work with the core cart docs i.e. avactis-systems. I do not know PHP except for the very basics meaning I recognize what it looks like and can write an include call. However I would imagine those who do could write a lot of interesting/functional things into their own docs.

For those of us who started with this cart early on we see the progress the developers have made. It is phenomenal. I have to tell you this company has BAR NONE the best tech service I have encountered in my years of software purchase.

As a designer I am eternally grateful for not having a design start from scratch with each new upgrade. :rolleyes:

Linda
I can't is an excuse for mediocrity.

#15 Tom S

Tom S

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi Guys,

Just my 2 cents.

I have dropped my own scripts into the cart on the design side of it (I almost NEVER work with the core cart docs i.e. avactis-systems. I do not know PHP except for the very basics meaning I recognize what it looks like and can write an include call. However I would imagine those who do could write a lot of interesting/functional things into their own docs.

For those of us who started with this cart early on we see the progress the developers have made. It is phenomenal. I have to tell you this company has BAR NONE the best tech service I have encountered in my years of software purchase.

As a designer I am eternally grateful for not having a design start from scratch with each new upgrade. :rolleyes:

Linda

You said it…this alone is a great attribute.

#16 firlife

firlife

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

Talking about version 1.9. I picked up Avactis after doing a lot of comparing. I am forced to run CubeCart for another site and I can't stand it. There are some things in particular about Avactis that I like, and some things I'd like to see them implement.

The Good and Decent

1. After spending hours and hours trying to figure out the tags and templates (mostly falling into the "where on earth IS this" category) I think I now have an 85% handle on that. And I kind of like it. It's easier to deal with (once you figure it out) than many other systems. Even though I didn't build my own template from scratch, I can mostly see now how I could.

2. It's got features built in that CubeCart refuses to implement, instead sending you off to pay way more than you thought you would for mods. For little things that should be built in. Avactis has probably 95% of all the features I desire, which is way more than some others (without having to install add ons).

3. For the most part, everything I tried to implement got started without a hitch, like SSL, the shipping module I wanted to use, etc. No spending hours in support tickets just trying to get the SSL to work like I did with CubeCart when we upgraded from 3 (which was a nightmare we won't discuss here).

4. The 1.9 base template is way better than the old flower shop, in my opinion, and definitely looks better than the standard skins many other carts offer.

5. Avactis expects us to create custom themes. So if we have a support issue, they don't do what CubeCart often does, which is say "well, you changed a minute portion of the drop down menu on one page of your template, therefore we will not provide support on this matter that is completely unrelated to that menu or anything like it." With CC if they change parts of what goes into their templates, you'll lose your changes on an upgrade, too, which doesn't appear to be an issue with Avactis.

6. Product options. In CubeCart, you have to buy a mod to make product options somewhat easier to use. In Avactis, when you edit a product, you can just add an option right there. If you ever need to change it, you just open the product and make the change without having to go through hundreds of pages of option types to try and find the one you're looking for. It's probably one of my favorite features. I also like that you can have more than just a simple dropdown menu, and that you can give each option a description that appears directly under that option. Nice.

7. I like that I can do a search in the label editor so I can easily find the bit I'm looking for, instead of having to guess where it is and then do a bunch of browser finds to drum up the text I want to change. And I like that I can include html in those labels so I can easily turn something bold or into a link without causing major drama.

8. This may seem minor, but I like that if someone chooses Google Checkout or PayPal, when the page comes up that shows the logo, they can either click to continue like they otherwise would or can click on the logo itself. Multiple options means less phone calls to me from people who can't figure out what button to push.

9. I am in love with the ability to copy a product. Some of our stuff is very similar, with identical product options but maybe a few words changed in the title. Being able to copy one of them and just make those tiny changes on the copy is tremendous.

10. I did not have to buy a mod to be able to custom sort the products. I enjoy that.

11. I didn't have to get a dedicated server like Magento wanted me to.

The Desirables and Issues List

1. The only mod that didn't work out of the box was Authorize.net (of the ones I've used). It took some tweaking from Avactis support, but they got it fixed, though I have no idea how or why it wasn't working. Hopefully that gets fixed in the core package if it's an issue.

2. Speedier checkout. Taking a step out of the process is something Avactis knows how to do, because they offer it for $50. Seeing how a faster checkout might attract more customers (for them and us) I think taking out the unnecessary step should be standard, especially since, if we get the change made for $50, we then have to pay $50 again if we ever upgrade Avactis. The checkout process is just too long, and I say that after having twenty people go through it and nine mentioned checkout time as an issue for them. The other eleven didn't mention it but agreed later that they'd appreciate a faster process.

3. I think when a new version comes out, webmasters who get half off discounts should get at least half the free support credits everyone else does, at least for the first time they order the new version (they are still paying half, after all). Just to make sure they don't have any troubles with new features/tags/etc. Some may be so entrenched they won't need to use them, in which case Avactis loses nothing. The ones who do need a little help getting into the swing of things would appreciate the recognition and support.

4. Was sad to not have support for iDevAffiliate tracking, since it's my affiliate tracker of choice.

5. CubeCart allows me to buy x amount of credits. Each support ticket costs one credit. 75% of the time CC resolves my issue to my liking. Avactis has a better resolvement rate so far (and they don't whine like one of the CC guys is prone to) but it seems like credits are gone almost as soon as you buy them if you have a couple minor issues. The money I don't spend on mods it looks like I will spend on support (only one more minor issue and Avactis will have cost me more than the CubeCart with all the mods), so only the fact that I don't then have to install mods as well is keeping Avactis ahead a bit cost-wise.

6. I'd love for a true way to checkout with an account or without, running at the same time. As it is now, you really can only do Quick Checkout if you've enabled both quick and with accounts. In order to let people check out with an account, they have to first register, then make their way back to the cart. With CC, they can choose a password as they make their order, without having to first go to a completely different page that won't bring them back to where they were when they're done registering. I want people to have the option. They really don't currently, even if they're supposed to.

Overall I'd say Avactis is far better than CubeCart, with just a few issues from my perspective. When we do another site in six months I'll compare again and see if there's another cart that has the same features (or most at least) plus a faster checkout by then before I say absolutely we'd go with Avactis for that one. If the speedier checkout in particular was done here I'd have no problem saying we'd go with Avactis without comparing anything at all.

#17 Oleg

Oleg

Avactis Team Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:12 AM

> Overall I'd say Avactis is far better than CubeCart, with just a few issues from my perspective. Firlife, thank you very much for your detailed review. We will take your critique under consideration and will improve Avactis.

#18 hardy

hardy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

I would like to know if there are any ex or current CS-Cart users who might have any comparision comments in relation to Avactis. Sorry, I should add a little bit more as this is my first post. I have been looking at CS-Cart and the checkout and order management is very ordinary to say the least. Someone suggested I look at Avactis, thus the reason to review the forum before I trial the product. I see there is a bit said about Cubecart and I was wondering if there where any opinions and comparision against CS-Cart and how the architecture compare to CS-Cart. Are built in the same way or is it different technology, architecture, etc. My knowledge & skills set is limited and I am looking at a out of the box solution and have turned to take a look at Avactis as my quick review of CS-Cart was disappointing for the fact they have som many bugs and the checkout management is very poorly designed.

#19 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:15 AM

I have looked at a lot of shopping carts and have always thought that they were ok... but they never seamed to be as good or as flexible as I wanted. Avactis however is and continues to be an amazing product, also one of the few that bother to actually listen to their client's request for additions and updates. Avactis is also a powerful cart but is so easy to integrate I rate it as one of the best carts out there, especially with the user login update on its way.

#20 royalina

royalina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

My faith in shopping carts was pretty low after my most recent bad experience, but Avactis far exceeded my expectations! It was very, very simple for me to integrate it into my client's website design. I also highly appreciated the online help available. They have user manuals and help links all over the place. What I am most impressed with, though, has been their customer service............